Rebecca Bricken Segal serves as Co-Chair of the firm’s litigation practice teams. She is a trial attorney who leads trial teams through all stages of litigation, while facilitating problem-solving and dispute resolution. A native of Fredericksburg, Virginia and a fifth-generation attorney, Becky is rooted in the greater Northern Virginia business community. She focuses her practice on business litigation and resolving disputes for the employment, real estate, and government contracts practice teams. She zealously serves her clients’ interests through effective discovery techniques, deposition tactics and well-considered motions practice. She looks for ways to resolve business disputes through settlement negotiations, both with and without the aid of mediation, but has no hesitation taking cases to trial if necessary. Becky led the firm’s trial team to achieving the second largest jury verdict in the Commonwealth of Virginia in 2015.
Prior to joining the firm, Becky practiced in complex civil litigation throughout state and federal courts across the United States, involving claims against companies with national scope. She has extensive experience in all stages of civil litigation.
Becky received her law degree from the University of Virginia School of Law and her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Virginia. She is a member of the Virginia State Bar, the District of Columbia Bar, Virginia Association of Defense Attorneys, the Virginia Bar Association, the Fairfax Bar Association, and the Loudoun County Bar Association. She has also served as the President of the Rotary Club of Sterling, Virginia.
- Led the trial team achieving the second-largest jury verdict in the Commonwealth of Virginia in 2015 on behalf of an international telecommunications company awarded damages for misappropriation of trade secrets, business conspiracy and tortious interference with contracts
- Successfully defended a co-owner of a local LLC from a temporary injunction after a two-day evidentiary hearing regarding potential misappropriation of trade secrets and breach of fiduciary duties and tortious interference
- Crafted well-considered motions for summary judgment on multiple federal court cases, disposing of claims before trial
- Defended new hair salon, its owner and one of its employees against claims brought by their former salon, resulting in a favorable settlement
- Negotiated a favorable resolution of multiple matters involving local businesses receiving negative comments on Facebook, Yelp! and other social media platforms
- Negotiated a favorable settlement between co-owners of a local university in a business dispute over their ownership contribution requirements
- Negotiated a favorable settlement in a business dispute between two transportation companies
Honors and Awards
- 2018 – 2016 Rising Star – Business Litigation, Super Lawyers, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
- 2018 – 2015 Virginia Legal Elite – Young Lawyer, Virginia Business
LEGAL DISCLAIMER: THE RESULTS OF ALL CLIENT MATTERS DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS UNIQUE TO EACH MATTER. PAST SUCCESSES DO NOT PREDICT OR GUARANTEE FUTURE SUCCESSES.